Saturday, January 9, 2010

30 Days of Praise

At the beginning of January our pastor issued a challenge: What would happen if, for 30 days, you took time every morning to praise God for who He is, and finished the day by praising God for what He had done? Our pastoral staff had been working on daily devotionals to send to everyone who signed up. I wonder if when they were writing them they had any idea of how each one would speak to me? God knew. And I'm sure that everyone participating is being blessed in a very personal way just as I am. But here are just a few in this first week that came on the very day that I needed it:

God our Hope - I went to Bud Brennick's memorial service on this day. One thing that really stood out from the devotional was "Hoping in the Lord is not wishful thinking. It is a confident assurance in the character and the presence of God."

God is in Control - Pre-surgery appointment for Aaron today. We had lots of questions about recovery time, returning to work, etc. and the doctor really tried to switch our focus from the short term to the importance of diligent screening in the years to come. It's a dangerous tumor. I don't want to go there. God is in control. Pastor Doug said, "if you looked closely you would see God at the keyboard" of your life. That's when I decided to write this journal.

Praise as Remedy for Worry - I need to hear and practice this one every day! I had the same thing happen to me one time in the airport. I started to reach for something while they were searching my bag and they said "don't touch it"! It's a great picture in my mind now to leave my worry to God and not take it back. Not easy though.

God in the Storm - A reminder that God is with me in the storm even when it's the last thing I want to talk about or when it hurts too much.

God is Loving - God's love is wider, longer, higher, and deeper than anything I can imagine. A confidence that He has given me that He loves Aaron even more than I do. I can trust Him!

God our Shepherd - He knows us and our needs better than we could ever know ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment